To support the cooperation of member REALTORS® in the service to and protection of the public in the trading of real estate.
The Guelph & District Association of REALTORS® (more commonly known by the acronym “GDAR”) is a not-for-profit organization whose mandate is to develop and maintain a set of professional standards that ensure the public is protected throughout the real estate transaction.
The Guelph Real Estate Board began as a cooperative in December 1959, in the former Murphy & McDougall real estate office. From there it moved to its home of 45 years (1974) at 400 Woolwich Street and in 2019 relocated to its current office at 221 Woodlawn Road West.
Since it’s humble beginnings, the organization has continued to grow and now encompasses much of Wellington County including Drayton, Ariss, Teviotdale, Fergus/Elora, Campbellville and Rockwood. The organizations name change in 1966 to the Guelph & District Real Estate Board reflected this growth.
Changing with the Times
September of 2008 marked the groups renaming to The Guelph & District Association of REALTORS® a change that emphasizes the importance of property owners partnering with registered REALTORS®.
While a person registered to sell real estate is known as “registrant”, only a person who is a member of the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and the Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA) may be called a REALTOR®. This designation speaks to the persons commitment to follow the guidelines established by these organizations.